Christiansfeld timeline

2020

The 100th anniversary of the Reunion is celebrated

In 2020 the 100th anniversary of the Reunion will be celebrated with many events.

2020

2018 - 2019

Renovation of the God’s Acre

The Moravian cemetery, the God’s Acre, is being thoroughly renovated 2018-2019. The renovation has been funded by:
A.P. Møllerfonden and Augustinus Fonden.

2016

Renovation of the Church Hall

The Moravian Church, the Hall, was thoroughly renovated.
The renovation was funded by Augustinus Fonden, Slots- og Kulturstyrelsen (the Danish Agency for Culture and Palaces) and by the Moravian Church.

2016

4th July 2015

Christiansfeld was appointed UNESCO World Heritage site

On the 4th July 2015, Christiansfeld was appointed World Heritage site by the UNESCO World Heritage Committee.

This happened at the convention of the UNESCO Committee in Bonn.

1st January 2007

Christiansfeld became part of Kolding Kommune (the municipality of Kolding)

As a consequence of the municipality merger in 2007 Christiansfeld became part of Kolding Kommune (the municipality of Kolding).

1st January 2007

2002

Renovation of Christiansfeld

In 2002, a comprehensive renovation of the historic buildings and streets in Christiansfeld began.

1972 - 1977

Renovation of the Church Hall

In the period 1972-1977 the Danish national building inspection authority, Statens særlige Bygningssyn, had the Church Hall renovated with the intention of restoring the exterior and interior of the church to the original state of the building as it was after the extension in 1796.

1972 - 1977

10th July 1935

The Reunification memorial stone was erected

At the 15th anniversary for the Reunification, the Reunification memorial stone was erected at the Reunification Square (Genforeningspladsen) in Christiansfeld.

9th April 1940 – 5th May 1945

World War II

9th April 1940 – 5th May 1945

10th July 1920

The Reunification

On the 10th July 1920, King Christian X rode across the old border north of Christiansfeld. At a devotion in Tyrstrup Church, the King spontaneously kneeled down at the altar.

10th February 1920

Referendum on nationality

On the 10th February 1920, the inhabitants in Southern Jutland, zone 1, voted on nationality.
In Christiansfeld, the votes in favour of Danish nationality were 67%, while the percentage in Tyrstrup parish was 93%.

10th February 1920

11th November 1918

The end of World War I

On the 11th November at 11.00 the armistice agreement took effect and thus officially ended the First World War.
Next to Tyrstrup Church there is a memorial stone carrying the names of the locals who were killed in this war.

1917

Where is the church bell?

In 1917, the Moravians had to deliver one of the bells of the Church Hall to the German authorities. It was meant to be remelted and turned into cannon balls.
Luckily, this was not effectuated and the bell was returned to the church in 1919.

1917

1st August 1914

World War I breaks out

Just like all other towns in Schleswig, Christiansfeld had to send the young men from the town to war.

1907

Fire station and museum

The white building was erected which today is the premises of Szocska Living. Originally, the Moravian community used it as a fire station, museum and school.

1907

4th March 1899

Christiansfeld got a train station

On the 4th March 1899 a train line between Haderslev and Christiansfeld was established. It was called “æ kleinbahn” (the small railway). The train line was shut down again on the 25th June 1932.

18th July 1864

The armistice agreement was signed

On the 18th July 1864 Colonel Kauffmann and Lieutenant-Colonel von Stiehle arrive at the Moravian Hotel in Christiansfeld with authority to negotiate the armistice.
At 3.00 in the morning, the armistice agreement could be concluded and signed.
Today it is possible to stay overnight in the Armistice Room at the Moravian Hotel.

18th July 1864

1864

The town was split

During the war in 1864, the Moravian community was split. Some members felt Danish while others wanted to be included in the German League, but in the Church, the disputes were set aside because the faith was a common matter.
The church served as camp hospital for wounded soldiers from both sides.

1862 - 1863

Tyrstrup Church was built

On the 23rd February 1862, the community in Tyrstrup took leave of their old roman church from the 13th century, which they tore down in order to build a new and bigger church that was inaugurated on the 3rd October 1863.

1862 - 1863

1848 - 1850

The Three-year War

The Church Hall served as a camp hospital for wounded soldiers from both sides.
The Danish soldiers were buried on the God´s Acre in a mass grave marked with a black cross. The German soldiers were buried among the Moravian brothers and their tombstones have been marked with a white colour.
The dead soldiers were buried on the cemetery of the Moravian community because they were under the care of the Moravians when they died.

1st April 1803

A town built within 30 years

Christiansfeld celebrated its 30th anniversary. At this time, the town was practically completed.

1st April 1803

1794

Establishment of water supply

In 1794, the Moravian community established water supply for the town. The water was led from natural sources in the nearby wood, Kohaveskoven, through hollowed oak logs to the well on the Church Square. From here, the water was distributed to all other wells in town.

1792

The Moravian soap factory was established

In 1792, the Moravian community established a soap factory at Lindegade 18.

1792

1788

Spielwerg & Comp. was built

In 1788, the Moravian community built the Commercial House Spielweg & Comp. On the same building site, a smaller back building was erected in which a tobacco factory was established. Later on, the Commercial House was expanded.

1784

The girls’ boarding school was built

In 1784, the girls’ boarding school got its own separate building. Since 1775, girls had received lessons in the first house of the town. The school had great success until the end of 1864, when the region became German territory. In 1890, the school was closed due to insufficient attendance.

1784

1784

The boys’ boarding school was built

In 1784, the boys’ boarding school got its own building. Since 1775, boys had received lessons in the Brothers’ House. The school had great success until 1864, when the region became German territory. In 1891, the school was closed due to insufficient attendance.

1783

The bakery of honey cake baker Achtnicht was established

In 1783, Heinrich Benjamin Martin Achtnicht established a bakery, in which he started the production of honey cakes. Originally, Achtnicht was a wig maker, but he was forced to change his business because no one in Christiansfeld and surroundings was using wigs.

1783

1781

Stove builder Abraham Goll’s house and workshop was built

In 1781, stove builder and potter Abraham Goll built his house and workshop at Lindegade 44. Christiansfeld is famous for these stoves, and they are still produced at the very same address.

1778

The Engine House was built

In 1778, the Moravian Engine House was built at Nørregade 9. At the same time, a fire brigade was established. The Moravian fire brigade helped extinguish the great fire at Koldinghus Castle in March 1808.

1778

1776

The Church Hall was built

In 1776, the Moravian community builds the Church Hall. Until this time, the community had used the first house in town as church, but now it had become too small. The growing community expanded so much that also the Church Hall became too small and had to be extended later on.

1783-1784

The Pharmacy was built

In 1783-1784, the Moravian community built its pharmacy at Lindegade 21. The Moravian community had a pharmacy in this building until 1937, when it was taken over by the Danish state. The building was used as a pharmacy until 2010.

1783-1784

1st April 1776

The foundation stone for the Sisters’ House was laid down

On the 1st April 1776, the Moravian community began the establishment of the Sisters’ House. At this time, there was only capital available to build the western part of the main building. Later on, the eastern part of the main building was erected in 1780 in order for the front door to be placed in the middle of the front. Later on, the building was extended three times by side wings and with workshops in the courtyard.

14th April 1774

The foundation stone for the Brothers’ House was laid down

On the 14th April 1774, the Moravian community began the establishment of the Brothers’ House – the home of the unmarried brothers. This building was inaugurated on the 18th November 1774.

14th April 1774

6th August 1779

The foundation stone for the Widows’ House was laid down

On the 6th August 1779, the Moravian community laid down the foundation stone for the Widows’ House that was completed by the 31st August 1780. Later on, the Widows’ House was extended by a west wing in 1797-1799.

1774

The first double house was built

In 1774, the Moravian community built the first double house (Lindegade 30-32). For years to come, this double house was the most common family house

1774

2nd April 1774

The Moravian cemetery, the God’s Acre, was inaugurated

On the 2nd April 1774, the Moravian community inaugurated its cemetery, the God’s Acre. The cemetery is divided into a Sisters’ side towards east and a Brothers’ side towards west. The first grave (carrying the consecutive number 1) belongs to an infant that did not survive the journey from Zeist to Christiansfeld.

The God’s Acre became scheduled in 1988.

3rd November 1773

"The first house" was inaugurated

On the 3rd November 1773, the assembly hall in "The first house" was inaugurated. At this time, the guest house (hotel) of the community had already been taken into use long ago by the artisans from out of town who helped build the town.

3rd November 1773

August 1773

The Minister’s House and the Principal’s House were completed

At the end of August, after a building period of almost five months – these two private houses were inaugurated, and these leading figures left the residence in the farmhouse of Tyrstrupgård.

1st April 1773

The foundation stones for the four first houses were laid down

On the 1st April 1773, the foundation stones for four buildings were laid down: The first Moravian assembly hall ("The first house"), the Minister’s house, the Principal’s house and the Moravian guest house (the hotel).

1st April 1773

10th December 1771

King Christian VII signed the concession

On the 10th of December 1771, King Christian VII signed the concession that gave the Moravian community permission to establish Christiansfeld. The concession granted the Moravian community a series of privileges such as a grant of 10% of the building costs for all buildings established within the first decade, exemption from taxation, military service and from the guild system and last but not least freedom of religion etc.

23rd of September 1771

The Moravian community bought the royal estate of Tyrstrupgård

The Moravian community bought the estate of Tyrstrupgård from King Christian VII together with its land on which the Moravians later intended to establish Christiansfeld.

23rd of September 1771

1768 - 1769

King Christian VII visited Zeist

While Christian VII was on an educational journey together with Struensee, one of the towns they visited was the Dutch Moravian town of Zeist. Struensee was very enthusiastic by the flourishing economy and trade and wanted such a town to be established in Denmark as well.

1722

Refuge with Count Zinzendorf

In 1722, a small group of refugees from the present Czech Republic fled into Saxony where they were offered asylum by the German imperial count Nicolaus Ludwig von Zinzendorf.
Here, they established the first Moravian town ever called "Herrnhut", which means "under the Lord’s guardianship" and at the same time "on guard for the Lord".
Later on, Zinzendorf became the leading figure in the renewed Moravian Church.

1722

1618 - 1648

The Moravian Church was almost wiped out

The Moravian Church was almost wiped out during the religious wars that were fought 1618-1648, since they were persecuted by both Catholics and Protestants.

1415

The first Moravian Church

In 1415, Jan Hus is burnt as a heretic in Konstanz, because he had criticized the misuse of power and theology by the Catholic Church. As a consequence of his execution and martyr’s death different movements arose – including the first Moravian Church.

1415