Romantic garden plant from the 18th century
Approximately 2 km southwest of Christiansfeld, the remains of a romantic garden called Christinero are situated. This garden was established by the noblewoman Christina Friederica von Holstein in the late 18th century. She referred to the garden as "My Thoughts".
The farmhouse, Favervrågård, was located in close vicinity of the garden so that the noblewoman could easily visit it on a daily basis. This is where she lived and had her peaceful moments and according to her own wishes, she is buried here. After Christina Friederica von Holstein died, the garden was named Christinero (since “ro” in Danish means both quiet and resting-place).
In the garden, which covers an area of 2 hectares, there are traces of a couple of arbours consisting of linden trees, which have reached a height of about 25 meter by now. In these arbours, the noblewoman could have her afternoon tea after the rest at noon. There are also three buildings in the garden area: the Cooking Cabin, the Pavilion and the Chapel. In the Cooking Cabin, coffee and tea could be prepared, the Pavilion offered shelter from wind and weather, and the Chapel was probably used for devotions. There are also two beautiful ponds with artesian wells in the garden.
All the year round, it is a quite special experience to visit the small scheduled garden to the southwest of Christiansfeld, Christinero, which is owned by the Moravian community. It is possible to visit Christinero on foot using the pathways of the area and when going by car, there is a parking place at Gl. Præstegård (the old parsonage).
From the very beginning, rare plants and unusual trees were planted in the garden. Unfortunately, about 80 % of the stand were destroyed during the great storm in 1999. Since then, more trees have been planted.
About the noblewoman Christina Friederica von Holstein
Christina Friederica von Holstein (1741-1812) was born in the prefect’s house in Tønder. She grew up in Tønder Castle.
She was bright and received a thorough education within the educational subjects of that time. At the age of 23 years, she married her cousin Christian Friederich von Holstein (1741-1798). He was Duke of Glücksburg and was appointed Lord of the Bedchamber by King Christian VII.
For some years, the couple lived at the Royal Court in Copenhagen, until Christian Friederich von Holstein for unknown reasons was dismissed by the King and expelled from the capital.
In 1777, the couple bought the farmhouse Favervrågård outside Christiansfeld. Here, Christina Friederica von Holstein was drawn by the spirit and mindset of the Moravians.
Visit the exhibition in the Moravian Museum on the first floor in the Sisters’ House.
Tickets can be bought in the shop of Christiansfeld Centret.
The Bole Barn - the biggest in Denmark
The scheduled Bole Barn (the Danish word is to be spoken as "bul - laden") situated at Gl. Præstegårdsvej is said to be from 1668. It is 36 meter long and thus it is the greatest bole barn in Denmark still standing at its original location.
It has been erected on a foundation of granite boulders, and the walls are made of posts with rabbets with “bole boards” (rather short but broad planks) in between them. The bole boards have a wedge-shaped tongue on the upper side and a corresponding groove on the lower side so that they could be connected closely. Finally, the Bole Barn is held together by the roof construction. The Bole Barn is a half-timbered house built solely of wood without using any nails or screws.
The Bole Barn is situated about 2 km southwest of Christiansfeld.
Combine a visit to the Bole Barn with a walk in the beautiful garden at ”Christinero”, which is located 700 meter from the Bole Barn.