The Moravian Hotel. Photo: Christiansfeld | Museum Kolding
A historic hotel
"Hospitality is a virtue" to the Moravians. Therefore, it was important to have a house, where the Moravian community could receive guests.
The Hotel was built as one of the first houses in 1773. At that time, it had only one floor and it has been extended four times later on. Originally, the hotel was built to be an inn and not until 1854, it became a hotel. The Hotel is situated at a central location close to the shops of the town in the northern side of Lindegade. Originally, the hotel had its own courtyard with a well and with stables for the horses of the guests, which were delimiting the courtyard towards the west.
The Hotel plays a part in Danish history, because the Armistice agreement of 1864 was signed here. Over the years, several members of the Danish Royal family have visited the Hotel. The marble plate on the western house end of the hotel bears witness of these visits.
The architecture of the Hotel
The architectural characteristics of the Hotel
The building facing Lindegade is erected in yellow bricks with steep red tile roofs. The staircase of the main entrance towards Lindegade is one of the finest in the town with stately ornamentations on the front door and the wrought-iron banister.
The building is characterized by having been rebuilt and extended many times so that this building presents itself as less homogeneous and simple than most other Moravian buildings. Primarily, this can be observed on the backside towards Prætorius Square. Here an unsuccessful extension from 1899, which served as a concert hall, can be seen. It was erected in red bricks and features several different kinds of roof construction and visible traces in the masonry of various changes made to the building. However, it has been advantageous that the former kitchen building on the backside has been removed and a new kitchen has been established in the basement. Another advantageous feature is the terrace towards the east, which has been supplied from Herrnhut.
In 1938, the hotel was shortened by 2.5 m towards the west, because Kongensgade was to be carried through the town. Today, there is no building where the stable used to be. The former courtyard has thus become an open square, "Prætorius Square", which is facing Kongensgade.