The Reunification Church
Tyrstrup church is known as the "Reunification Church". Here, King Christian X took part in a devotion on 10 July 1920 after having crossed the former border to the north of Christiansfeld on horseback.
The church was built in the period from 1862 to 1863 and replaced the former Romanesque church from the 13th century. The new church had been designed by the Royal housing inspector L. A. Winstrup, who designed several churches in the villages of the region.
Even though the church is relatively new, compared to many other Danish churches, it is worth mentioning that it is very characteristic both on the outside and on the inside. The altarpiece is made by Jes P. Schmidt while the motif on it was painted by A. Dorph in 1863.
In the church, elements of the former church have been preserved such as the baptismal font from the 13th century, which is made of granite with formalized ornamentation. The parish clerk’s seat has been constructed of six slightly shortened pew chair ends, two from 1662 and four from 1686. They origin from the chairs of the minister and from the farmhouse of Tyrstrupgård.
Outside the church, there is a monument towards the south in memory of the parishioners, who fell in the First World War.
The entrance towards Haderslevvej features the beautiful entrance portal, which is made of portals and ashlars from the former church. Some of the other ashlars from the former church have been used as footing stones for the new church building.
Tyrstrup Church was renovated in 2011/2012 and today it is a so-called road church, which means that it is open every day between 10.00 and 16.00.
Visit Tyrstrup Kirkes homepage.